Seven steps towards health and happiness in the lab
A productive lab need not be a negative environment, says Fernando T. Maestre.
Studies show that if we are happy, we work better and are both more creative and more productive. Here are seven key principles that I follow as a PI to make the staff and researchers in my lab as happy as possible, and to maintain a nurturing and collaborative environment:
1. We are people before we are scientists.
2. We are all in control of our own schedules.
3. My lab members work with me — not for me.
4. Everyone is doing a job just as important as everyone else's.
5. I never expect anyone to do the same as I do.
6. I never compare anyone with anyone else.
7. We all have deadlines.